Glazed Baked Onions
Glazed Baked Onions
Slow-baking onions gives them a mellow sweetness. This is good with naturally sweet Vidalia onions or red onions, but ordinary yellow onions will do just as well.
- 1 cup homemade or prepared vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp buttery spread such as Earth Balance
- 1 generous pinch dried rosemary
- 1 generous pinch dried thyme
- 1 generous pinch ground nutmeg
- 6 onions extra-large, cut in half
- 1 cup fine fresh breadcrumbs for topping
- fresh rosemary sprigs for garnish optional
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Combine all the ingredients except the onions and breadcrumbs in a small saucepan. Heat gently, stirring, until all are smoothly blended. Remove from the heat.
- Peel the outer skin from the onions and cut them in half crosswise. Cut a thin sliver from the bottom of each onion half, so that they'll stand steadily in a baking dish.
- Arrange the onions halves in a shallow baking dish and pour the mixture from the saucepan evenly over them.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the onions are tender when pierced with a fork. Once or twice during this time, spoon some of the liquid from the bottom of the baking dish over the onions.
- Sprinkle the onions with breadcrumbs and bake, uncovered, for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Serve at once or keep warm until needed.
bbq onions best irrigation system for onions blanching onions for freezing cooking with onions Dixondale Farms farm update gardening with kids growing onions growing onions tips and tricks growing organically harvesting onions how do I get my kids into gardening? how do i get my onions to grow bigger? how to grow onions from onions how to plant onion sets neem oil onion bacon stuffing onion diseases onion growing tips onion harvesting tips onion insect control onion insects onion insect solutions onion maggots onion pest and disease management onion planting Onion Plant Size onion recipes onion rings onions onions cutworms onion slugs onion snails onion thrips onion varmints onion watering requirements organic onions planting onion transplants storing onion plants before planting stuffing teaching kids to garden thanksgiving transplanting onion plants vidalia onions what is the best way to cook onions?