Slow Cooker 5 Onion Soup
Slow Cooker 5 Onion Soup
- 4-6 lbs white, yellow, sweet, and red onions peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar optional
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar optional
- 1/2 cup cooking sherry or other dry white wine
- 7 cups beef broth low-sodium
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
- 1 Bay leaf
- 8 slices dry french bread
- 3/4 cup Gruyere cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup chives for garnish
- Transfer all of the thinly sliced onions to the slow cooker — the slow cooker should be half to three-quarters full. Cook for 5 hours on HIGH or 10 hours on LOW.
- Stir occasionally, if possible — this will help them cook more evenly but is not necessary.
- After 5-10 hours, the onions will be golden-brown and soft, and they will have released a lot of liquid. Remove onions to a large bowl and let cool.
- If you like onions with a deeper color, continue cooking for another 3 to 5 hours on LOW. Leave the lid ajar so the liquid can evaporate. Check every hour and stop cooking whenever the onions look and taste good.
- Stir sherry, Worcestershire sauce and beef broth into the remaining onions in the slow cooker bowl.
- Add garlic, thyme, bay leaf and set on high for 4-6 hours OR low for 8-10 hours.
- Discard bay leaf and ladle the soup into oven-safe bowls.
- Top with dry bread slices and distribute Gruyere cheese evenly over each piece. Broil 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned.
Recipe provided for the National Onion Association by chef and blogger Nikki Miller-Ka.
bbq onions best irrigation system for onions blanching onions for freezing cooking with onions Dixondale Farms farm update gardening with kids growing onions growing onions tips and tricks growing organically harvesting onions how do I get my kids into gardening? how do i get my onions to grow bigger? how to grow onions from onions how to plant onion sets neem oil onion bacon stuffing onion diseases onion growing tips onion harvesting tips onion insect control onion insects onion insect solutions onion maggots onion pest and disease management onion planting Onion Plant Size onion recipes onion rings onions onions cutworms onion slugs onion snails onion thrips onion varmints onion watering requirements organic onions planting onion transplants storing onion plants before planting stuffing teaching kids to garden thanksgiving transplanting onion plants vidalia onions what is the best way to cook onions?